Autumn Harvest Soup
This soup showcases the sweetness of squash, making it an instant hit with kids. The swiss chard adds valuable nutrition and calcium and the bulgur adds a nutty heartiness.
Number of Servings
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups assorted squash, cubed (such as butternut, buttercup, acorn, turban)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup bulgur wheat, soaked in water until tender and drained
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes, small dice
- Salt as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper as needed
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and sauté leeks, carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, squash, thyme, garlic, and parsley. Stir in stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or unti the pumpkin and squash are tender.
- Add bulgar, chard, and tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.