Basic Tomato Sauce
Tomato Sauce is ubiquitous in American cuisine. Whether served with pasta, as an ingredient in lasagna, or as a side with grilled chicken, tomato sauce is a part of many types of meals. This tomato sauce is the perfect ingredient for any of the above-mentioned dishes. If you’re feeling particularly industrious, make a double batch and freeze half for later use.
Number of Servings
- 4 ½ teaspoons onion, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ cups diced tomatoes, canned
- ½ bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- Over medium-low heat, sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer until flavors are blended.
- Stir in oregano and basil. This sauce may be served as is or puréed whichever you prefer.