Pesto is one of the most all-purpose sauces in the kitchen. It can be used as a topping for pasta, a dressing for pasta salad, a marinade for grilled chicken or pork, and even a sandwich spread. And basil isn’t the only herb that can be used-the sauce can be made with sage, arugula, and a wide variety of other green herbs and vegetables.
Number of Servings
- 2 cups fresh basil, chiffonade
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Put basil, pine nuts, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth.
- Pour ¾ of the olive oil into running food processor in a steady stream until the mixture is thick but liquid.
- Add grated parmesan and continue to process. Adjust to desired consistency with the remaining oil. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary. Use immediately or cover with a thin layer of olive oil and store in the refrigerator.