Bread salad is all about the flavors of summer. The luscious blending of fresh tomatoes at their ripest, mixed with basil, bread, herbs, olive oil and balsamic create a flavor sensation that delights. Try replacing traditional cucumbers with lemon cucumbers and shop around for a nice selection of tomatoes, especially heirloom varieties. This can be served as a side salad, or with the additional of cooked chicken or tofu as an entrée salad.
Number of Servings
- 2 cups tomatoes, medium dice
- 1 cup cucumbers, medium dice
- ½ cup carrots, medium dice
- ½ cup zucchini, medium dice
- ½ cup red bell peppers, medium dice
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 baguettes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Toss all the vegetables together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut baguettes into pieces roughly the size of a sugar cube and add to vegetables.
- Add the herbs to bread and vegetable mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add the olive oil and vinegar and mix well.