Brown Rice & Tofu Salad
This is a wonderful way to add a whole grain into your child’s diet. The tofu adds protein and the flavors compliment each other beautifully. Serve it as a side dish in a boxed lunch or add grilled chicken or shrimp to make an entrée.
Number of Servings
- 3 ¼ fl oz soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon rice syrup
- ¾ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ pound firm tofu
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, crushed red pepper flakes, rice syrup and sesame oil to make the marinade.
- Marinate the tofu overnight and then press it in a colander under about one pound of weight for at least 4 hours.
- In four cups of boiling water cook the rice to al dente. Remove from the water and spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
- Remove the tofu from the press, reserving the marinade.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces (approximately ½ inch squares) and toss with rice in the marinade.
- Add scallions and crushed red pepper flakes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.