This cornbread recipe can be a snack, a side to Vegetarian Black Bean Chili, or even part of a balanced breakfast. It is a great complement to egg dishes, including spicy southwestern breakfast burritos. Sweet pepper jam or jelly make healthier alternatives to butter.
Number of Servings
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons white corn flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons plus ¾ teaspoon milk
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 ½ teaspoons green chili pepper, roasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan.
- Melt butter and cool.
- Combine corn meal, flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine milk, buttermilk, butter, and egg and blend thoroughly. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve. The cornbread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.