This hearty hash can be a wonderful part of a Sunday Brunch – served with eggs or as a side dish for chicken or pork. Later in the season try replacing the butternut squash with your favorite variety of winter squash from your local farm stand or farmer’s market.
Number of Servings
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup onions medium dice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups rutabaga, large dice
- 1 ¼ cups red potatoes, large dice
- 1 ¼ cups butternut squash, peeled and cut in large dice
- 1 ¼ cups parsnips, peeled and cut in large dice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable stock
- In a large pan with a cover, sauté the garlic and onions in butter and oil until onions are lightly browned.
- Add the rutabaga, red potatoes, butternut squash, and parsnips and sauté for five minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and fresh sage and stir to combine. Add the stock and mix well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Serve.