High Protein Squares
This snack makes a great replacement for processed “power” bars and they can be made ahead and kept in an airtight container for up to a week. If you can’t find carob chips go ahead and substitute chocolate chips—the change in fat and calories is marginal. Organic chocolate chips are available in many supermarkets, so check those aisles first.
Number of Servings
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 1 ¼ cups chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup carob chips
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup coconut, unsweetened
- ⅔ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- Over medium heat melt together the butter, carob chips, and peanut butter.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine all other ingredients. Drizzle with peanut butter mixture and mix well.
- Press mixture into a 9- by 12-inch pan. Chill until firm and cut into 24 squares.
- To store place in an air tight container in the refrigerator.