Lemon Poppy Scones
Scones are a great grab-and-go breakfast food that the whole family can enjoy. These are light and lemony, perfect for a warm summer morning. Make a double batch and freeze half so you won't have to sweat over breakfast on a particularly busy morning.
Number of Servings
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 ounces butter, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- ⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ cup milk, plus additional milk for brushing the tops of the scones
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and then add the lemon zest.
- Add the cubed butter and mix until the mixture resembles corn meal. Mix in the poppy seeds.
- To the dry mixture add the vanilla, buttermilk, lemon juice, and milk and mix until it barely comes together.
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or a soup spoon, scoop scone dough out onto a well-greased cookie sheet. Brush with milk and bake for 20 minutes.