This classic French chilled soup is perfect for a hot summer’s day or as part of a lunch packed in a thermos. Try using Yukon golds or German Butterballs for alternative flavorful potatoes.
Number of Servings
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 6 leeks, white parts only, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add the leeks and celery. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring often until soft.
- Stir in 1 cup of water, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir in remaining water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Purée, chill and serve.