The Chef Ann Foundation (CAF) was founded in 2009 by Ann Cooper, an internationally recognized author, chef, educator, public speaker, and advocate of healthy food for all children. Chef Ann’s vision was to create an organization that helps schools take action so that every child has daily access to fresh, healthy food. Today, CAF carries out that vision by actively supporting school districts nationwide with the tools, training, resources and funding needed to help schools create healthier food and redefine lunchroom environments.
If you’re interested in doing a story about CAF or one of its programs, please contact Allison Ildefonso at email@example.com.
Featured Release: Chef Ann Foundation Partners with 12 Chefs From Across the Country to Compete in First Ever National Real School Food Challenge
Participating chefs will raise funds for healthy school food programs by creating menu items using the USDA's healthy meal guidelines and a $1.25 budget
Click here for a PDF version of this press release.
BOULDER, Colo. – September 24, 2019 – Chef Ann Foundation (CAF), a trail-blazing nonprofit dedicated to healthier school food, announced today that 12 chefs across the U.S. are helping bring awareness to the need for school food reform through the Real School Food Challenge: National Restaurant Edition this October. First launched in 2016, the Real School Food Challenge enlists the support of healthy food advocates to show it is possible to create delicious, nutritious food that is scalable for school kitchens.
CAF invited chefs around the country to create meals that follow USDA healthy meal guidelines and have a food cost around $1.25, the average budget for a school lunch in the U.S. As part of this first-ever national Challenge, all of the participating chefs will serve their recipes on their restaurant menu throughout the month of October, with a portion of proceeds donated to CAF. Corporate sponsors RATIONAL USA, Sprouts Farmers Market, Organic Valley, Tundra Restaurant Supply, Sterling Rice Group and Elevation Foodservice Reps will match the proceeds from each restaurant to help maximize the impact of the Challenge.
Every day, 30 million children eat school lunch. With only $1.25 to spend per student meal, it becomes challenging for schools to serve real, healthy food that meets USDA guidelines. CAF works to provide school communities with the tools, training, resources, and funding that enables them to serve scratch-cooked food using whole ingredients. While celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2019, the organization has reached more than 10,000 schools and 3 million kids with their healthy school programming.
“Chefs are getting a lot of attention these days, and it's so inspiring to see how they are using that notoriety to give back,” said Mara Fleishman, CAF CEO. “Showing America what is capable in school food will bring attention to the work so many of us are doing with school districts, helping them serve healthier, less processed meals."
CAF has secured participation from chefs who share a vision for better food for children, including:
- Chef Daniel Asher | River & Woods, Boulder
- Chef Hosea Rosenberg | Santo, Boulder
- Chef Alon Shaya | Safta, Denver
- Chef Charleen Badman | FnB, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Chef Stephen Williams | Bouquet Restaurant, Ohio Valley
- Chef Leonard Hollander | Arbor, Chicago
- Chef Erik Bruner Yang | &pizza, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami locations
- Chef Toni Elkhouri | Cedar’s Café, Melbourne, Fla.
- Chef Gayle Pirie | Foreign Cinema, San Francisco
- Chef Mihoko Obunai | Hosted by Brush, Atlanta
- Chef Brandon Rosen | Hosted by CWC The Restaurant, Cincinnati, OH
- Chef Nathanial Zimet | Boucherie, New Orleans
“I’m so excited to help figure out how to give all kids in the U.S. the nutritious lunches they deserve,” shared Chef Shaya. “In addition to calling awareness to how we can improve school lunches, it’s also an exhilarating challenge for chefs to create delicious and nutritious meals on a low budget.”
The Real School Food Challenge: National Restaurant Edition will kick-off on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019. Each chef’s recipe will be added to their menu as part of a fundraiser to support CAF’s ongoing efforts to make real change to the food our children eat at school. Five chef’s recipes will be selected for their creativity, scalability, and presentation, and those finalists will be invited to travel to Brooklyn, N.Y. to compete at StarChefs International Congress on Monday, Oct. 28, sponsored by RATIONAL USA. The Real School Food Challenge competitors will take over the food carts during the Congress Cocktail Party from 6 to 8 p.m. and CAF staff, a jury of school food operators, and local media will select the winning dish, to be announced the following day at 3 p.m. on the main stage.
About the Real School Food Challenge
The first Real School Food Challenge was hosted in Boulder in April 2016, and helped raise $7,500 for CAF. Since that initial Challenge, CAF has partnered with communities and organizations across the U.S. to host six additional Challenges, raising nearly $70,000
About Chef Ann Foundation
Chef Ann Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit working to provide school communities with the tools, training, resources, and funding that enables them to create healthier food and redefine lunchroom environments. To date, the organization has reached more than 10,000 schools and 3 million kids with healthy school programming. Learn more at chefannfoundation.org.
CAF in the News
Press Releases and Articles
- 7/31/19 - Chef Ann Foundation - Making Fresh Healthy Food Accessible to Children Everywhere, School Nutrition Dietitian (Podcast episode)
- 6/11/19 - Boulder's Chef Ann Named a 'Food Hero', BizWest
- 6/7/19 - 2019 EatingWell American Food Heroes Include Chef Ann Cooper, EatingWell
- 4/3/19 - Are school lunch times in Colorado too short, too long or just right?, KMGH-TV The Denver Channel
- 3/28/19 - Tossing and turning: What will be the future of food waste?, Boulder Weekly
- 3/20/19 - 'Iron Chef' Competition Held At Boulder Middle School, CBS Denver
- 3/7/19 - A Comprehensive List of the Women Leading the Front Range Culinary Scene, 5280 Magazine
- 1/1/19 - 119 Organizations Shaking Up the Food System in 2019, Food Tank
Click here for a complete list of press releases and articles.
Access all of our press releases and a variety of CAF fact sheets by clicking on each item below
The Renegade Lunch Lady
About Chef Ann Cooper and the CAF Mission
Learn how celebrity chef turned lunch lady Ann Cooper is changing school lunch in this episode of Sub-Zero's Fresh Food Matters